AGREEMENT ON THE TEMPORARY
INTERNATIONAL PRESENCE IN THE CITY OF
9 May 1996
- Pursuant to Article VII of the Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, dated September 28, 1995, the two sides agree to the establishment of a Temporary International Presence in the city of Hebron ( " TIPH " ). This agreement will remain in force until such time as Israeli forces redeploy from Hebron, whereupon it will be superseded by a new agreement to be negotiated by the two sides and the TIPH established by this Agreement will be replaced by a new TIPH to be established under the new agreement ( " the new TIPH " ).
- A Temporary International presence will be established in the city of Hebron. As detailed in paragraph 4 below, the TIPH will, in anticipation of the Israeli redeployment in Hebron, act as an advance party for the new TIPH, assist in promoting stability and in monitoring and reporting the efforts to maintain normal life in the city of Hebron, thus creating a feeling of security among Palestinians in the city of Hebron. The organizational structure, operational guidelines, logistics, support and privileges and immunities of the TIPH shall be in accordance with the Modalities on the establishment of the TIPH established by Norway with the agreement of the two sides.
- The two sides shall request Norway to provide 50 - 60 persons, citizens of Norway, as TIPH personnel, consisting of field observers, office staff and support personnel, as agreed between the two sides. Consistent with its stated task, the TIPH personnel shall have no military or police functions.
- The tasks of the TIPH personnel will be:
- to begin preparations for the establishment of the new TIPH;
- to contribute by their presence to a feeling of security to the Palestinians of Hebron;
- to help promote stability and an appropriate environment conducive to the enhancement of the well - being of the Palestinians in Hebron and their economic development; and
- to provide reports as set out in paragraph 6 below.
- In order to facilitate the carrying out of the TIPH tasks, a building will be chosen in the city of Hebron as a seat for the TIPH.
- The TIPH will report to the following: